Thursday, February 25, 2016

Pura Vida Costa Rica


Costa Rica is an amazing country and the best gift I received from it was conquering my fears!! Yes, plural! A very dear friend, philosopher and mentor once drew on my white board that in order to grow, you have to step out of your comfort zone and sometimes that would mean stepping into the terror zone! (Yes, you know who you are…and I’m ever grateful to that pivotal moment in my life). If something terrifies you, you should totally do it BECAUSE it terrifies you. And then you'll do it and you'll realize what you're capable of.

So on this trip, I literally stepped in with both feet forward and climbed atop an active volcano, walked on swaying monkey rope bridges, climbed tall steel towers, went for a midnight forest walk to experience the reptilian genus and zip lined high above the tree canopy – all for the first time and almost all that I would gladly do over and over again (minus, you guessed it …the reptilian adventure)! And through it all, I realized that if I would not have done something, right now, I would never get to live my dreams in waiting! I also realized that it is during the times I am far outside my element that I experience myself the most. I discover a smile I didn't know I had, I uncover a feeling that I didn't know existed in me... I see myself. I also let out that bit of crazy that lies dormant within most of us….and was amazed at how the most ordinary day could be catapulted into the extraordinary in the blink of an eye! 
This trip gave me a gift, one that is infinite and infinitely rewarding – conquering my fears and I am proud and ever thankful for it! Maybe it’s time to contemplate sky-diving!

No comments: